This company’s story has its beginning in the year 1634 when a physicist named Scharandi de Solothurn began drawing wire at the Taubenlochschlucht in Biel. Over decades and centuries, the company have developed and industrialised.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the first bicycle components were manufactured in Biel. By 1934, spokes and tyres were already being manufactured as well as buggies for babies. After the economic difficulties suffered by the metal industry between the 1980s and 1990s, the former United Wireworks company halted tyre production and spun off its business.
It was then in 1994 when DT Swiss AG was founded from one of the spin off divisions of United Fireworks by current owners Frank Böckmann, Maurizio D’Alberto and Marco Zingg. The short name DT was created from the names of the former United Firewoks in French and German (Tréfileries Reünie and Vereinigte Drahtwerke respectively). The D derives from Drahtwerke and the T derives from Tréfileries. With the purchase of shares of the company, this was renamed DT Swiss
. The new name reflects the origins of the company and is synonymous with Swiss tradition and high quality.
In addition to producing in Switzerland, the production is also carried out in factories in the USA, Taiwan and Poland. All the facilities are equipped with the same machines as in Switzerland, which guarantees the equality of Swiss production and quality standards.
The United States plant opened in 1996 in Grand Junction, Colorado. In 2005, DT Swiss Asia Ltd. was founded in Taichung City, Taiwan. And in 2007 DT Swiss continued its expansion by founding DT Swiss Polska Spzoo with the intention of increasing the competitiveness of European-based production.
In 1998 the company changed the name DT Swiss Bike Technology AG with which it was founded to DT Swiss AG at the same time as it modified its logo to begin its global expansion.
In 2004, DT Swiss
started the construction of their own wheels
, launching a complete range of wheels built by DT Swiss. The range included wheels for all terrains and styles: road, mountain, enduro, freeride and trekking.
The unique lightness of carbon makes it a prized raw material also in the bicycle industry for the manufacture of rims, forks
and shock absorbers. DT Swiss implement their own technologies and initiate the development, manufacture and marketing of their new carbon products.
In 2009 DT Swiss launched a new system of wheels
called TRICON 100% manufactured in Switzerland. All components have been optimised several times and tuned one by one to obtain the highest possible rigidity reducing the weight to the minimum possible. They are compatible with tubeless tyres and allow a variable configuration of rotor and shaft thanks to their ratchet system. And, of course, its appearance is spectacular as well as its performance.
The ambition to develop innovative products with a modern design, combined with the best Swiss quality, is the goal of DT Swiss engineers. With the opinions and recommendations of professional riders in all disciplines, new products are developed and improved.
Together with the investments to continuously expand the product range, new production plants are opened. One of the last steps was the company’s move in 2011 to a new headquarters built in a new industrial area of Biel.
Driven by the goal of becoming a world-renowned manufacturer of bicycle components, DT Swiss
have been expanding their range of products in recent years. Today DT Swiss have established themselves as a leader in the manufacture of spokes, hubs, tyres, complete wheels, as well as suspension systems.